In The Mindful Writing Series, educators will engage in the nine attitudinal factors of mindfulness (Jon Kabat-Zinn) in order to learn strategies for helping students relieve writing anxieties and build self-compassion, stamina, and self-efficacy in writing practice. In each session, learners will create intentions, practice mindful breathing, and write from the mindset of non-judging, patience, a beginner’s mind, trust, non-striving, acceptance, letting go, gratitude, and generosity. Participants will leave with mindful writing activity tools for instructional application.
In this workshop, participants will:
- assess current attitude toward grammar instruction and set intentions for growth.
- connect the practice and core attitudes of mindfulness to grammar instruction to facilitate student awareness of language and foster the teacher’s role as a non-judgmental guide.
- apply concepts of mindfulness to support students in letting go of self-doubt and cultivating creativity while learning about grammar and language.
- engage in a mindfulness activity.
- engage in a mindful writing activity.
- use a digital interactive tool to practice mindfulness by playing with language and grammar and its connection to a writer’s intention.